Just for Vegetarians
According to a study done by the Vegetarian Times, at least 7.3 million American are vegetarians (including vegans), with an additional 22.8 million following a largely vegetarian-inclined diet. With such a large portion of the country eschewing meat, it’s important to ensure that a foodservice menu includes interesting and flavorful non-meat options – which will appeal to non-vegetarians too!
There are 4 types of vegetarians:
- Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: no meat, fish, or poultry products. Dairy and eggs allowed.
- Ovo Vegetarian: no meat, fish, poultry, or dairy products. Eggs allowed.
- Lacto Vegetarian: no meat, fish, poultry, or eggs. Dairy allowed.
- Vegan: no animal products of any kind, including meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, honey, gelatin, etc.
Visit the Kitchindex™ Menu Builder to check out our selection of Vegetarian/Vegan recipes! Below are links to some other resources for vegetarian foodservice recipes:
- Quantity Recipes from The Vegetarian Resource Group: http://www.vrg.org/catalog/quant.htm
- Excerpts from the Vegetarian Journal FoodService Update (includes quantity recipes): http://www.vrg.org/fsupdate/index.htm#Excerpts
For more information about vegetarianism, the Sources below contain links to helpful vegetarian resource websites.
- “Vegetarianism in America”, Vegetarian Times: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/vegetarianism-in-america/
- The Vegetarian Resource Group: www.vrg.org
- Vegetarian Nutrition Resource List: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/VegetarianNutritionResourceList.pdf